We Are …
The American Immigration Council (“Council”), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is a powerful voice in promoting laws, policies, and attitudes that honor our proud history as a nation of immigrants. Through research and policy analysis, litigation and communications, and international exchange, the Council seeks to shape a twenty-first century vision of the American immigrant experience.
We are seeking talent to join our team!
Your Role …
The Exchange Visitor Program Associate is integral to fulfilling the daily work activities to facilitate a successful exchange visitor program in the intern/trainee category; the Exchange Visitor Program Associate is responsible for vetting sponsorship applications to ensure exchange visitor and host organizations comply with the State Department regulations and internal policy to maintain the Council’s designation. The Exchange Visitor Program Associate serves as a support resource to exchange visitors and their active hosts (and/or legal representation) while participating in the American Immigration Council Exchange Visitor Program.
Through cultural exchange the Council facilitates interaction between local businesses and communities and foreign-born nationals.
Essential job functions of this role include:
- Assesses and finalizes, defensible decisions on the Council’s sponsorship applications via a web-based portal, within framework of J program and internal policies.
- Provides timely technical assistance to private sector, nonprofit and legal stakeholders before sponsorship approval such as: provide advice on placement plans, application requirements, and IT assistance accessing web portal.
- Conducts one-on-one Skype interviews with potential exchange visitors prior to making a sponsorship decision, to build a rapport, determine eligibility, and intent prior to approving an application.
- Serves as an Alternative Responsible Officer in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) for The Council’s J-1 trainee and intern programs.
- Provides responsive support to incoming and current exchange visitors with the view to offer them a consistently positive experience as a visitor to the United States.
- Maintains regular and timely communications with host companies, attorneys, and Exchange visitors. Able to monitor and maintain SEVIS database including any change on SEVIS system during the participant exchange program.
- Requires flexibility and ability to adapt to the varying needs of in-country exchange visitors.
- Educates stakeholders on the J-1 visa regulations, purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program, and exchange program application process.
- Manages Program Evaluation Process:
- Secures regulatory compliance collecting program evaluations, improving both the format and content of surveys, and creating a system of incentives to secure 100% response rate at the correct stage of the exchange visitor experience.
- Represents J-1 issues to businesses and Chambers of Commerce, Congress, immigration law, and the greater exchange and education communities for advocacy and new client prospects.
- Coordinates Council events.
- Performs other related duties and tasks as assigned by the IEC Program Manager.
As with all positions at the Council, this position requires commitment to the Council’s mission.
Your Background …
A Bachelor’s Degree and familiarity with immigration policy; non-profit or Capitol Hill experience desirable. Knowledge of J-1 Visa program eligibility and regulations, parameters, and requirements to be able to review application content for accuracy and consistency is required.
At least 2 years of experience in the international exchange or international education fields. Knowledge of program evaluation techniques is required.
U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residence status required by Federal regulations for DSO/ARO certification.
Experience living and/or studying abroad, preferred.
Our Workplace …
We offer an extremely generous total compensation package (salary and benefits). Benefits include – medical, dental, vision, 401k with employer match, monthly transit subsidy, flexible work schedules, 3+ weeks’ vacation, 11 Federal holidays, on-site fitness center and many more exciting benefit programs.
Your Colleagues …
- Dedicated, dynamic, collaborative and compassionate.
- A community of individuals passionate about their work.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. For consideration, please make sure to include your resume, cover letter and a completed questionnaire.